Moving Children Out of State

Following a divorce, parents may want to move for any number of reasons, including educational or employment opportunities, to be closer to family members, or simply to make a fresh start. If you are the custodial parent, and the other parent has been given parenting time, there are specific steps that need to be taken before a relocation can take place.

In order for a custodial parent to legally relocate a child out of state, he or she must first have the consent of the noncustodial parent or an order from the court. Whether you are the parent who wishes to relocate or a parent who stands to lose parenting time if the relocation is approved, it is important that you seek the advice of a qualified Rochester child relocation lawyer as soon as possible.

Dedicated Minnesota Attorneys Protecting Your Parental Rights

At the law firm of Ryan & Grinde, Ltd., we represent parents on both sides of parental relocation. In cases where there is no dispute from the noncustodial parent over the relocation, we can help you with a custody modification that clearly defines how the new parenting time arrangement will look after the relocation, including visitation schedules, responsibility for travel expenses and other considerations.

If the noncustodial parent does not agree to the relocation, we are fully prepared to advocate for the interests of either parent. Whether through mediation, arbitration or litigation, we work tirelessly to resolve disputes in a way that benefits our clients. We understand the criteria the courts consider when reviewing a relocation request, and we know how to present a compelling argument in support of our client’s position.

Speak With One Of Our Saint Charles Or Rochester Lawyers About Your Case

Learn more about our legal services and how we can help with your relocation case. Call our Rochester office at 507-218-7935, our Saint Charles office at 507-932-4461 to schedule an initial consultation with an attorney. You can also send us an email by completing our online intake form.