Susannah E. Nichols
I was born and raised in Raleigh, North Carolina with extensive family ties to the Rochester, Minnesota area. I graduated from East Carolina University with a double major in Political Science and Communications. I attended Campbell University School of Law in Raleigh, NC with a concentration in trial advocacy. During law school, I clerked in Boston and Raleigh focusing on Family and immigration law.
After passing the Virginia Bar, I began practicing law in Washington D.C. and Virginia. My practice included criminal and family law with a primary focus on immigration law including immigrant/non-immigrant visas, family and employment-based green cards, deportation defense, and asylum matters. My practice has allowed me to assist businesses in expanding their workforce to be more competitive, assist foreign-born individuals to be reunited with their family members, and prevent removal from the U.S. to a country where an individual’s life would be in danger. I continue to travel nationally to represent both businesses and individuals in their immigration matters.
In 2015, I relocated to the Rochester, Minnesota area to join Ryan & Grinde and was admitted to the Minnesota Bar. Since joining Ryan & Grinde, I have continued refining my practice to focus on immigration, family, criminal and civil matters. I continue to represent both individuals and businesses which allows me to represent a diverse group of clientele. It is through the practice of law that I seek to make a difference by providing guidance through life’s more complex moments. I interpret my work as an attorney to include serving as both a counselor and a strong advocate for my clients.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Family Law
- Minnesota, 2016
- Virginia, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2012
- Campbell University School of Law, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Minor: Trial Advocacy Concentration
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Communication
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Olmsted County Bar Association, Member
- D.C. Congressional Legislation Committee of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Chair
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Military Assistance Program, Member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member
- AILA Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter, Member
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Former Member
- Capital Area Immigrants' Rights (CAIR) Coalition, Former Member