- Have a current license, certificate or registration issued by DLI;
- Have a current independent contractor exemption certificate;
- Are an employee of a business performing construction services; or
- Hold a current residential building contractor or remodeler certificate of exemption issued by DLI; or
- Are excluded from registration requirements under Minnesota Statutes 181.723, subd. 4a.
Contractor who hire unregistered subcontractors, misclassify workers or fail to register are in violation of the law and can be charged with civil penalties.
You can verify “contractor registration” with the DFI’s license lookup searchable database below: https://secure.doli.state.mn.us/lookup/licensing.aspx
For more valuable information, please refer to the Builders Association of Minnesota at its link below: http://www.bamn.org/